Violent crime

Barry Cadden, president of the New England Compounding Center, along with members of his legal team, arrive at the federal courthouse for sentencing Monday, June 26, 2017, in Boston. A verdict of guilty on charges of mail fraud, racketeering conspiracy and racketeering had been reached on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 in the case of a fungal meningitis outbreak from tainted steroids manufactured by Cadden's pharmacy which killed dozens and sickened hundreds of people in 2012. (AP Photo/Stephan Savoia)
June 26, 2017 - 2:53 pm
BOSTON (AP) — The co-founder of a pharmacy is set to be sentenced Monday in a nationwide meningitis outbreak that killed more than 60 people and sickened hundreds more. Barry Cadden, 50, was acquitted of second-degree murder charges under federal racketeering law but convicted on conspiracy and...
Read More
FILE - In this May 22, 2017, file photo, Michael McCarthy watches as jury selection begins for his murder trial in Suffolk Superior Court in Boston. McCarthy was convicted Monday, June 26 of second-degree murder in the death of Bella Bond who became known as Baby Doe after her remains washed up on the shores of a Boston Harbor island. (Pat Greenhouse/The Boston Globe via AP, Pool, File)
June 26, 2017 - 1:58 pm
BOSTON (AP) — The Latest on the second-degree murder conviction of a Massachusetts man who killed his ex-girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter and dumped her bagged remains in the ocean (all times local): 1:45 p.m. The lawyer for a man convicted of killing a 2-year-old girl who became known as Baby Doe...
Read More
FILE - In this Friday June 16, 2017, file photo, Valerie Castile, mother of Philando Castile, a black motorist who was killed by Officer Jeronimo Yanez, speaks about her reaction to a not guilty verdict for Yanez at the Ramsey County Courthouse in St. Paul, Minn. Valerie Castile reached a nearly $3 million settlement in Philando Castile's death, announced Monday, June 26, by attorneys for Valerie Castile and the city of St. Anthony. (Renee Jones Schneider/Star Tribune via AP, File)
June 26, 2017 - 1:55 pm
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The mother of Philando Castile, a black motorist killed by a Minnesota police officer last July, has reached a nearly $3 million settlement with the city that employed the officer, avoiding a federal wrongful death lawsuit that attorneys said could have taken years to resolve...
Read More
FILE - In this Friday June 16, 2017, file photo, Valerie Castile, mother of Philando Castile, a black motorist who was killed by Officer Jeronimo Yanez, speaks about her reaction to a not guilty verdict for Yanez at the Ramsey County Courthouse in St. Paul, Minn. Valerie Castile reached a nearly $3 million settlement in Philando Castile's death, announced Monday, June 26, by attorneys for Valerie Castile and the city of St. Anthony. (Renee Jones Schneider/Star Tribune via AP, File)
June 26, 2017 - 1:09 pm
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The mother of Philando Castile, a black motorist killed by a Minnesota police officer last July, has reached a nearly $3 million settlement with the city that employed the officer, avoiding a federal wrongful death lawsuit that attorneys said could have taken years to resolve...
Read More
FILE - In this May 22, 2017, file photo, Michael McCarthy watches as jury selection begins for his murder trial in Suffolk Superior Court in Boston. McCarthy was convicted Monday, June 26 of second-degree murder in the death of Bella Bond who became known as Baby Doe after her remains washed up on the shores of a Boston Harbor island. (Pat Greenhouse/The Boston Globe via AP, Pool, File)
June 26, 2017 - 12:02 pm
BOSTON (AP) — The Latest on the second-degree murder conviction of a Massachusetts man who killed his ex-girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter and dumped her bagged remains in the ocean (all times local): Noon A Massachusetts man convicted of second-degree murder in the death of a 2-year-old girl who...
Read More
In this Friday, May 19, 2017 photo, Matthew Fenner stands with his aunt, Lynn Rape, outside the Rutherford County Courthouse after a hearing on his case against Word of Faith Fellowship church in Rutherfordton, N.C. Fenner, a former church member, said he was kidnapped and assaulted by members because he is gay. In December 2014, a grand jury indicted five church members. “If it wasn’t for our pressure,” Rape said, “nothing would have happened.” (AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)
June 26, 2017 - 11:34 am
SPINDALE, N.C. (AP) — For two years, Matthew Fenner said he pleaded with authorities to investigate his allegations that a group of fellow congregants at the Word of Faith Fellowship church had punched, slapped and choked him to expel his "homosexual demons." An Associated Press investigation found...
Read More
FILE - In this Friday June 16, 2017, file photo, Valerie Castile, mother of Philando Castile, a black motorist who was killed by Officer Jeronimo Yanez, speaks about her reaction to a not guilty verdict for Yanez at the Ramsey County Courthouse in St. Paul, Minn. Valerie Castile reached a nearly $3 million settlement in Philando Castile's death, announced Monday, June 26, by attorneys for Valerie Castile and the city of St. Anthony. (Renee Jones Schneider/Star Tribune via AP, File)
June 26, 2017 - 11:01 am
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The mother of Philando Castile, a black motorist killed by a Minnesota police officer last year, has reached a nearly $3 million settlement in his death, according to an announcement Monday by her attorneys and the Minneapolis suburb that employed the officer. The settlement to...
Read More
June 26, 2017 - 10:08 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court has ruled against a Texas death row inmate who said his lawyers failed to challenge a faulty jury instruction at his trial and on appeal. The justices ruled 5-4 on Monday that Erick Davila could not bring a claim that his appeals lawyer was ineffective for...
Read More
This photo taken Thursday, June 22, 2017 shows South Sudanese newspaper front pages, including two with news stories removed by the printer on the instructions of the government, in Juba, South Sudan. As South Sudan's civil war creates the world's largest refugee crisis and widespread allegations of sexual violence and ethnic cleansing, journalists charge the government is restricting their ability to report the news. This is starkly evident in the country's newspapers, which the government has started censoring by blacking out articles it deems critical. (AP Photo/Sam Mednick)
June 26, 2017 - 10:00 am
JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — As South Sudan's civil war creates the world's largest refugee crisis and widespread allegations of sexual and ethnic violence, the government is clamping down on the news media, journalists charge. This is starkly evident in the country's newspapers, which the government...
Read More
This photo taken Thursday, June 22, 2017 shows South Sudanese newspaper front pages, including two with news stories removed by the printer on the instructions of the government, in Juba, South Sudan. As South Sudan's civil war creates the world's largest refugee crisis and widespread allegations of sexual violence and ethnic cleansing, journalists charge the government is restricting their ability to report the news. This is starkly evident in the country's newspapers, which the government has started censoring by blacking out articles it deems critical. (AP Photo/Sam Mednick)
June 26, 2017 - 8:21 am
JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — As South Sudan's civil war creates the world's largest refugee crisis and widespread allegations of sexual and ethnic violence, journalists charge the government is restricting their ability to report the news. This is starkly evident in the country's newspapers, which the...
Read More

Pages