WBT History

1950's
The History of WBT

9/17/2009

1950

Phil Agestra and Bob Bean joined the WBT staff.


1951

Jean Alexander and Gil Stamper joined WBT.


1952

Doug Mayes and Lou Martin joined WBT. "Colliers" Magazine dubbed Grady Cole "Mr. Dixie." The magazine had record sales with an article on Grady that month. After a few years of spending money…and making no profit. The company turned in its license for WBT-FM. The equipment, valued at $85,000 dollars was donated to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where it was used to establish WUNC-FM.



1954

Alan Newcomb and Bob Raiford joined staff.



1955

WBT and WBTV moved from the Wilder building to the present location...One Jefferson Place in April. The street was later named One Julian Price Place. Loonis McGlohon joined WBT staff. Local Shows included: "By Jiminy" with Jim Patterson; "The Hitch-Hiker" with Alan Newcomb; "The Corner Store" with Arthur Smith; "Studio Party" with Fletcher Austin and Cathy Haynes; "Four Men and Music" with the Loonis McGlohon Trio and Ziggy Hurwitz; "Saturday Night Press Box" with Phil Agresta and Bill Ward; "Strietmann's Streetman" formerly with Kurt Webster, then Lee Kirby, and later Fletcher Austin.




1956


Owen Spann joined WBT.





1957

To honor WBT's 35th Anniversary, several WBT staff members traveled to New York to appear on "The Robert Q. Lewis Show."




1959


Radio Moscow," an informational show designed to counteract Soviet propaganda, debuts on WBT. Alan Newcomb and Rupert Gillett, foreign affairs analyst, hosts the program. "Radio Moscow" was syndicated in 1960, and won three national awards in 1961. Edward R. Murrow visited and broadcast his show from WBT. "Project 60" with Clyde McLean began. This program highlighted people and events shaping the up-coming decade.


 «  Return to previous page
 »  Send to a friend