"I Read the News Today, Oh Boy" Trivia
Monday, June 17th
1. 100 million Americans will do this today.
Answer: Drink coffee
2. At 96 feet high and 117 feet wide, the largest of these in the world is installed in Sydney, Austrailia.
Answer: IMAX screen. The biggest IMAX in North America can be found in two places: Lincoln Square 13 in New York City and Metreon 16 in San Francisco. Those screens are 75 high by 97 wide.
Friday, June 14th
1. 1.5 billion gallons of this stuff is made in the U.S. each year.
Answer: Ice Cream. This includes frozen yogurt and the like.
Thursday, June 13th
1. New York City residents clean up about 40 million pounds of what each year?
Answer: Dog poop
2. By the time they graduate from high school the average kid will have eaten1,500 of these.
Answer: Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
Wednesday, June 12th
1. It's estimated there are around 3,000 of these held around the world each year. Hint: Boston has one of the most famous.
2. Every day around the world this happens to 12 newborns.
Answer: They're given to the wrong parents.
Tuesday, June 11th
1. In a survey of office workers, 37% say they've caught a co-worker doing what?
Answer: Picking their nose
Monday, June 10th
1. If you're an average 45-year-old, you have owned approximately 1,350 of these.
Answer: Pairs of socks
2. Supposedly sales of this increase 20 percent the day after Super Bowl Sunday.
Friday, June 6th
1. Since this disaster, about 800 books on the subject have been written.
2. At least 30 people died during the construction of what?
Answer: The Brooklyn Bridge
Thursday, June 6th
1. The average person eats 50 pounds of what each year?
2. Eleven percent of women absolutely refuse to wear these even if it means missing out on the fun. What?
Answer: Bowling shoes
Wednesday, June 5th
1. In 2012, Philadelphia had the most while Tampa Bay had the least. What?
Answer: Major League Baseball spectators. The Phillies sold just over 3.5 million tickets; Tampa Bay just over 1.5 million
2. Every day, Americans are accountable for $25 million in what?
Answer: Shoplifted items
Tuesday, June 4th
1. Twenty years ago the average person sent 40 of these a year. Today that number has fallen below 20.
Answer: Christmas cards
2. According to the Guinness Records people, the most people doing this simultaneusly is 48, 870.
Answer: Shaking hands. The record was set in India in January 2012
Monday, June 3rd
1. This organization has nearly 98,000 employees.
Answer: IRS. At it's peak in 1992 the IRS had over 116,000 employees
2. These can produce up to 30 gallons of sweat each year.
Answer: Your feet.
Friday, May 31st
1. Each year, this causes around 200 deaths.
Thursday, May 30th
1. Most of these that occur in hotels happen above the first but below the seventh floors. What?
2. Police in London, England, say 314 of these are stolen each day.
3. The six Fast and Furious movies features 124 of these.
Answer: Car crashes
Wednesday, May 29th
1. The U.S. has over 607,000 of these.
2. It was first called Decoration Day. Today we know it as what?
Answer: Memorial Day. Established by Civil War Union veterans, Decoration Day was first celebrated at Arlington National Cemetery in 1868.
Friday, May 24th
1. The average printed dictionary has 50 of these.
2. The average woman will do this twice a day.
Answer: Complain about men
Thursday, May 23rd
1. Nearly 40% of McDonald's profits come from this.
Answer: Happy Meals
Wednesday, May 22nd
1. Forty percent of adults do this and about eight percent of them get caught
Tuesday May 21st
1. Americans toss 30,000 of these a day.
2. The largest one of these ever caught weighed 44.4 pounds.
Thursday, May 16th
1. This company's first mascot was a character named "Speedee". Name the company.
Wednesday, May 15th
1. A survey found that 15% of these are humorous.
Answer: Mother's Day Cards
2. According to a study, the object hit most by vehicles - - besides other vehicles - - is the tree. What's #2?
Answer: Wood utility pole
Tuesday, May 14th
1. If this is going to be stolen from you, it's more likely to be stolen in July or August.
Answer: Your car
2. While you've probably seen and eaten only one or two, over 1,200 varieties of this are grown worldwide.
Monday, May 13th
1. Over 15,000 of these are created every minute.
Answer: Coins at the U. S. Mint
2. Eight in ten adults have it but never use it.
Answer: Some sort of exercise/gym equipment.
Thursday, May 9th
1. One in five kids say if they were president, they would do what every day?
Answer: Eat ice cream
Wednesday, May 8th
1. The average American eats 270 pounds of this a year.
2. The average four-year-old will do this more than 100 times a day.
Answer: Ask a question.
Tuesday, May 7th
1. Since 1970, the average size of one of these has increased nearly 42 %.
Answer: House. In 1970 the average home was 1,500 square feet.
2. According to a recent poll asked, 55% of singles said this was their most embarrassing dinner date moment.
Answer: Having their credit card denied.
Monday, May 6th
1. You'll lose 100 pounds of this in your lifetime.
2. Four in ten women admit to do what on their way to work?
Answer: Using their rear-view mirror to apply or check make-up or work on their hair.
Friday, May 3rd
1. Every person who lives here costs U.S. Taxpayers $904,000 a year.
Answer: Guantanamo Bay prison
Thursday, May 2nd
1. 2,060 gallons of this will be used at the Kentucky Derby.
2. 180 tons of this will be created at the Kentucky Derby.
Wednesday, May 1st
1. While the average one of these is built for 20 people, it's most often used by 3.
Answer: Conference rooms
2. The average one of these last 25 1/2 minutes.
Answer: Commute to work
Tuesday, April 30th
1. The average 45-year-old has owned about 1,300 of these.
Answers: Pairs of socks
2. About a hundred years ago, only 1 in 5 U.S. homes had one these.
Answers: A bathtub
Monday, April 29th
1. 65% of American office workers say this is the biggest myth in office life.
Answer: The one-hour lunch.
2. The average man will do this 3.6 times a day, while the average woman will do it 5.2 times a day.
Friday, April 26th
1. What body part is most commonly bitten by insects?
Answer: The foot
2. This happens every 45 seconds in the U. S.
Answer: A house catches on fire
Thursday, April 25th
1. According to a survey of adults, 7% said they wish this happened twice a year.
2. In Japan, between 900 and 1,000 vehicle accidents occur each year because the driver is doing what?
Answer: Watching TV. In Japan you can buy a converter kit that turns your dashboard GPS into a screen for movie and TV viewing.
Wednesday, April 24th
1. Two-thirds of the water used in an average home is used . . . where?
Answer: In the bathroom
Tuesday, April 23rd
1. Besides being sick yourself, what's the best excuse to get out of work, according to a survey?
Answer: Home problems, like plumbing, etc 53% say that's the best excuse. Second, at 19%, is a sick family member.
Monday, April 22nd
1. In any given year you have a 1 in 663 million chance of being killed by this.
1. The longest distance one of these has been thrown is 182 feet, 3 inches.
Answer: Cow patty, aka cow chip
Thursday, April 18th
1. Some of America's most (blank) cities are Lake Charles, Louisiana; Corpus Christi, Texas; Olympia, Washington; and Astoria, Oregon.
Answer: Humid. The most humid is Quillayute/Forks, Washington
2. You'll probably see about 50 of these today. Hint: You won't see any if you're not online.
Answer: Online ads
Wednesday, April 17th
1. While many live 40 or 50 years, some can live 100 to 200 years.
2. Your college kid calls and says he's quitting school and moving to India to be aa dabbawalla. What's he going to be doing?
Answer: Delivering lunches, Dabbawallas deliver hot, often home-made lunches to millions in India each day.
Tuesday, April 16th
1. This year the average adult will throw away 253 pounds of what?
2. 1 in 5 adults have done this in the kitchen?
Answer: Have sex
Friday, April 12th
1. Got a weekend project planned? There are 16,000 of these in the U.S.
Answer: Hardware stores
2. The average child 5 and under will experience this about 7 times a week.
Answer: Someone reading to them
Thursday, April 11th
1. One in four of you will do this at least three times this week.
Answer: Fall asleep at night in front of the TV
2. A survey by a car wash chain says the average person "thoroughly" cleans this about every two years.
Answer: Their car's glove box
Wednesday, April 10th
1. While nearly half of us use it once a day, 5% of people use it three or more times a day.
2. At the start of marraige this lasts about 40 minutes. After a few years it drops to 15 minutes. What?
Answer: Dinner conversation
Tuesday, April 9th
1. Humans ate 16 billion of these last year.
Answer: Oreo Cookies
2. Six in ten people who consume this product say they become upset if they don't have it at their regular time.
Monday, April 8th
1. Fourteen percent of the garbage created in the U. S. becomes what?
2. For women, the least popular day to do this is; for men it's Thursday.
Answer: Grocery shopping
Wednesday, April 3rd
1. This takes 8 minutes and 20 seconds to happen . . . and we all experience it.
Answer: It takes that long for from the sun to reach the earth.
2. The average person will receive 965 of thes in their life.
Tuesday, April 2nd
1. According to a travel expert, the best day and time to do this is Tuesday at 3 PM Eastern.
Answer: Shop online for airline tickets.
Monday, April 1st
1. In 1980 the typical contract or agreement for one of these was about 400 words long. Today the average is around 20,000 words.
Answer: Credit Card
2. It takes about six minutes for one of these to be created.
Answer: A Peeps Marshmallow Chick